•  

Autor Wątek: 2002 rok! Emilie w Silverfox Radio.  (Przeczytany 1785 razy)

Offline Ankh

• Forumowa Mama
  • Mad Girl
  • The Bloody Crumpet
  • Type B Negative
    • blog
2002 rok! Emilie w Silverfox Radio.
« dnia: 06 Lut 2013, 13:04:51 »
Wywiad wrzucony do sieci przez wiarygodny blog O Mistress Mine.

~tutaj można przeczytać wywiad na blogu~

A ja na wszelki wypadek kopiuję treść na forum co by nie zaginęła w pomrokach dziejów.

Silverfox Radio Featured Artist Interview, July, 30, 2002

Silverfox: How did you get your start in the music industry and what made you decide to go in a different direction with classical music?

EA: When I was four, I decided I wanted to play the violin. I didn?t have any concept of what that meant, the competition, the concert halls; I just thought it looked like fun. As I grew up, my dream was to travel the world playing Mozart and Prokofieff, but as I got nearer to my goal, it began to look less and less attractive to me. Much of the music we term ?classical? is brilliant, far more brilliant than anything that?s being created now, in 2002, but the classical industry itself is a horrible machine, soul-killing and manipulating. They (professors, critics, etc.) take these musical masterpieces and tell everyone to play them in exactly the same way, and they do their best to stomp out any flame of creativity in anyone, for fear of being overthrown. I know I sound like a conspiracy theorist, but any classical music student who hasn?t been utterly brainwashed (a lot of them have) can tell you the same thing. Then, the industry complains that they have lost the interest of the general public, when the fact is that they are collectively so boring it?s bloody painful. I could not work within the constrictions of the classical industry, so, after a lot of heartache, I chose to embrace everything that made me different from them and see where that took me. It was at that point, in my teens, that I began to sing, write songs as well as symphonies, and develop my knowledge of electronics and recording. The result is, I think, a mixture of everything that I love, from the ancient music that I grew up on, to the rock music that inspired me, to the futuristic sounds I hear in my head.

Silverfox: Could you tell us more about yourself and the people in your band or group?

EA: Certainly. I?ve had quite a lot of people playing and recording for me over time, including Sting?s drummer, Vinnie Coliuta, and other great instrumentalists like Dean Parks, Lee Sklar, and the great baroque cellist, William Skeen. Though most of my recording takes place in solitude, with my playing as many of the parts as possible, when I perform live, I have a full band with me who does their best to turn my largely electronic records into human-powered sound. My current tour lineup consists of six members, if you count my iBook, ?Puppy.? I have two drummers who alternate performances, Heath Jansen and Graham Brisben. Heath is an inspirational musician, very skilled in jazz and other experimental forms, and Graham is fabulous as well, playing with more energy and sheer love of good music than anyone I know. Not only has Graham worked in the studio with me as session drummer on a lot of the ?Enchant? album, he also does double duty as my manager, poor thing. Then there?s Ben Lehl, my guitarist. He and Heath have been playing together for practically ever, so there?s some great synergy there, and they also have their own project together called ?Breathe.? Ben can play the stockings off of just about anyone out there, and my only challenge with him is that he?s a truly great showman, and I have to work pretty hard to prevent him from upstaging me. My cellist is Joey Harvey, the Nordic god, or so the critics like to call him. He has a classical background as I do, and it?s very important to me to have that element in any group that I?m in. Joey?s quite experimental himself, and has a very successful group called the Mass Ensemble (massensemble.com). My bassist is Jim Vanaria, who, as well as providing the heart of the band, also has by far the most technical experience of any of us. A computer programmer by day, when on stage, Jim handles the iBook and sequencer, making sure things run smoothly, and bearing the brunt of my burning glares when they don?t. He?s got a musical project of his own as well, called Birdfeeder (birdfeedermusic.com), which is extremely electronic. He also wears goggles sometimes, and at others can be found in a Boy Scout uniform. Which brings us lastly to ?Puppy,? my beloved Apple iBook. Puppy?s gotten quite a lot of press recently from the Mac mags, and I?m really thrilled with how he?s been able to control all the electronic elements of my show with such elegance. We couldn?t do it without him. So that?s my band at present, and I?m really damn lucky to have them all.

EA: I really don?t have musical influences per se, in the way that many people are inspired to create work ?in the vein of? someone they admire. There are lots of people I respect and adore, and whose work makes me work harder at mine, and these include musicians like Sting, Annie Lennox, Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton, Nigel Kennedy, The Smiths/Morrissey, David Bowie, Jo Stafford, numerous medieval and renaissance instrumental groups, composers like Vivaldi, Bach, Corelli, Elgar, Prokofieff, Barber, Mendelssohn, and so many more I can?t think of right now because I?m out of green tea. When I need to write, it?s like a luminescent ball of light deep in my abdomen, and I?m rabid until I get the chance to sit down and work it out of my system. I never think about ?music,? I think about an idea that I want to portray, and this could be done in any number of ways, from dance, to painting, to film. Because my chosen format is music, it?s then my job to choose from the impossibly massive number of different notes and sounds until I (hopefully) end up with the perfect combination to express the mental image I want to instill in the listener. Writing is perhaps my most favorite activity, nothing is so satisfactory as to find yourself alone in a corner, penning a whole song in an hour, and thinking to yourself, ?Well, aren?t I a clever wench!? It?s really lovely, like being able to finish the crossword puzzle and then getting a prize at the end of it. My subject matters tend towards the fantastical a lot of the time, and I think that?s mainly because it?s something I need. My mind needs that space to wander and dream and just romance itself with the possibilities of what could be if only we had the eyes to see.

Silverfox: What band or group would you like to team up with and play at a concert with?

EA: Ahhh?how can I choose? Some days it?s Annie Lennox, some days it?s Eric Clapton, but today, it?s Morrissey. I am a huge, huge Smiths/Morrissey fan, and I?ve covered three or four songs in performance already. I would just explode at the chance to open for him, and, in my fantasyland, perhaps duet on something nice like ?There Is A Light That Never Goes Out.? We cover that song live in almost every show, and I?ve Emilie Autumnified it by adding church choir and whole chunks of baroque strings, just enough to make it unrecognizable until you?re really hearing the first verse. Besides, I think we have a similar sense of sarcasm, and we could eat tofu together.

EA: The setting most conducive to spiritual enlightenment would have to have been when I was performing in Wales, in a medieval castle by the sea. I?ve had some great experiences in rock clubs in the states however; it?s really all up to the audience. If I sense that connection with a crowd, we could be playing a dungeon and I?d be having the time of my life. Actually a dungeon doesn?t sound all that bad?

(Wg innego cytatu z bloga chodzi o występ uwieczniony na tym zdjęciu:

"EA plays the Teleman Concerto for 4 Violins with friends in St. Donot?s Castle, Wales
Photo caption via EA?s old site (mid 2000?s).")

Silverfox: Are you a part of any charities?

EA: I?m an active member of both PETA and Amnesty International. These are two organizations that I feel a personal need to be a part of, and contribute to. I?m a vegan, and I?d choose animal company over human any day of the week, so PETA is a given. I love what they do, and I can only imagine how much worse off our society would be without them, though there is far more to be accomplished for animal rights than has already been done. Amnesty is a really challenging organization to belong to because, if you go beyond just making the annual contribution and actually get involved in campaigning for the causes you believe in, you open yourself up to a whole world of atrocities that is potentially damaging for any civilized person to see unless they know how to properly digest this kind of truth. I can read about the rape epidemic in Kenya, and the sexual mutilation of female prisoners in various parts of the world, but I have to make a conscious decision when I go to bed at night to turn off the part of my brain that has just absorbed all of this, otherwise it completely overtakes me and I?m seething with anger and disgust at what men can do. There?s a fine line between being aware, and being so aware that it destroys your own existence.

Silverfox: Where do you see yourself in 4 years?

EA: I don?t really know, things seem to change so unexpectedly. I mean, who knows what the state of the music industry will be in four years; will there even be one, or will we all just be independent merchants, selling our wares? I?d certainly like to have established my label (Traitor Records) as a trustworthy organization that fights for art over mass consumerism. I suspect I?ll have developed a slight righteous complex, and my friends will have to keep me in check from time to time. I?ll also have gone through 500 pairs of wings, become a certified yoga instructor, and built a halfway house for wayward crows.

Silverfox: Do you believe people look up to you as a role model? If so, why?

EA: I don?t think that?s a rampant danger at this point. For one thing, I?m really not famous. When I walk down the street, yes, everyone stares, but it?s not due to recognition, it?s because they?re wondering whether I?m human or not. I do get a lot of fan mail from a lot of lovely people, and some of them claim to look up to me in that way, and it?s very flattering of course. For those people, I think they sense the difference between actual music and manufactured noise, but I also think it has to do with the fact that I?m a woman who does her best to stand for strength and independence, and I also have the keys to the fantasy world that so many desire to enter.

Silverfox: When you?re away from home how often does it have an impact on your singing?

EA: I love touring, being on the road. I sleep better in hotel beds than in my own, I?m not sure why. I also really enjoy being in different environments but still surrounded by the people I?m most fond of, my band.

Silverfox: Do you ever write poetry or has it ever had any impact on your music?

EA: I actually have a book of poetry for sale on my website right now. It?s a small volume called, ?Across The Sky and Other Poems.? I find that writing good poetry is very different from writing good lyrics, so the two don?t cross as much as you might imagine. I am very much inspired by poetry in general, Shakespeare, Shelley, Poe, Wilde, and many more. I?ve always written ever since I was quite young, and I hope to keep developing my literary side to the point where I can release volumes on a regular basis.

Silverfox: What are the 5 most things you think our government should focus on to help not only the US but the other countries as well?

EA: That?s funny, I think someone just asked Britney Spears this question too. It?s difficult to make a political ?to do? list, because as the state of the world rapidly changes so do our priorities. The things I do feel strongly about are as follows:

1. We need to stop feeling guilty over the fact that our country has an amazingly brilliant constitution as opposed to most other countries in the world, which do not. People fought and died to make our country a reality, and I think it?s high time we take a little pride in that, instead of constantly kicking ourselves in the ass for being ?better off? than many others. We are not ?rich, fat, stupid Americans,? though the media still finds some commercial benefit in telling us that we are.

2. If the world is ever to take on some semblance of harmony, we need to obliterate patriarchy and balance things out a bit. I want to see an end to the incredibly damaging media which targets and exploits women, I want to see all sexual predators castrated and jailed for life without exception, I want all men who use the words ?woman,? ?girl,? ?cu**,? or ?p***y? in a derogatory manner, or as a way to insult other men, to be shunned as the very dregs of society, no less than we currently do to someone who uses the word ?nigger.? And, if at all convenient for everyone, it would be ever so charming if women at some point got equal pay for equal work, if that?s not too much trouble. Thanks.

3. I believe that utilizing our own resources for oil would not be a mistake, though it was recently stated as such and denied. I am an environmentalist, but I also don?t like war, and we need to be more self-sufficient than we currently are in order to be able to step out of other countries when the only thing keeping us there is our trade with them. I feel that the damage that would be inflicted on our country?s environment is far less than that which comes as a result of our dependence on the mercy of our current oil providers.

4. We must halt the development of human, or other, cloning, test tube babies, and other such fuckings about with nature. If you think this is the appropriate next step in medicine, you?re probably also on the board of the RIAA. We can?t even cure AIDS, we don?t need to be duplicating people.

5. Losing your personal privacy and freedom in the name of security, be it from supposed threats or internet piracy, is just that: a loss. 1984???

Silverfox: Please feel free to comment now on anything you wish.
Anything you would like to add?

EA: I?d really like to thank Silverfox and all the other internet radio stations for caring enough about providing alternative musical content to brave the fees, the criticism, and the constant threat of being shut down. You do a great service to us artists who don?t choose to pay off mainstream radio to be played, and it?s a hilarious shame that the RIAA and their bought congressmen are espousing such the opposite.
I?d also like to take a second to tell people of my new album, ?Enchant.? Though we?ve been jumping through a lot of hoops to get this thing out to the public, we?re nearing the release and I think it will be worth everyone?s while to check it out, not only for the music which I?ve put my heart and soul into, but because it also contains a mystery puzzle, a sort of treasure hunt. I can?t give away too many details yet, but I am really anxious to see what people make of it.
Wrogami nie są mężczyźni ani kobiety, ani starcy, ani nawet umarli. Są nimi potwornie głupi ludzie, którzy trafiają się we wszystkich odmianach. A nikt nie ma prawa być głupim.
Terry Pratchett

martaforte

• Gość
Odp: 2002 rok! Emilie w Silverfox Radio.
« Odpowiedź #1 dnia: 06 Lut 2013, 13:54:29 »
Wywiad jak wywiad, ale TO ZDJĘCIE *.*

Offline nyu

• Anti-American Dream
« Odpowiedź #2 dnia: 06 Lut 2013, 13:55:53 »
ile ona miała włosów :D

Offline Patyczek

• Queen Leech
  • The Bloody Crumpet
« Odpowiedź #3 dnia: 06 Lut 2013, 14:01:05 »
4. We must halt the development of human, or other, cloning, test tube babies, and other such fuckings about with nature. If you think this is the appropriate next step in medicine, you?re probably also on the board of the RIAA. We can?t even cure AIDS, we don?t need to be duplicating people.
Że... słucham? Ems? :O

Btw ktoś wie, co się stało z weganizmem Emilie? Nadal go praktykuje czy nie?

Offline Ankh

• Forumowa Mama
  • Mad Girl
  • The Bloody Crumpet
  • Type B Negative
    • blog
« Odpowiedź #4 dnia: 06 Lut 2013, 14:11:22 »
^No sprzeciwia się klonowaniu i eksperymentach na płodach. Mi tam do niej pasuje ;]

Na temat weganizmu ostatnio się nie wypowiadała więc ciężko coś powiedzieć.
Wrogami nie są mężczyźni ani kobiety, ani starcy, ani nawet umarli. Są nimi potwornie głupi ludzie, którzy trafiają się we wszystkich odmianach. A nikt nie ma prawa być głupim.
Terry Pratchett

Offline whatewa

• Mad Girl
  • The Striped Stocking Society
  • i am a leaf on the wind, watch how i soar
« Odpowiedź #5 dnia: 06 Lut 2013, 14:44:38 »
Ale...test tube babies to in-vitro, nie eksperymenty na płodach, no nie? Mam nadzieję, że do dnia dzisiejszego jednak zmieniły jej się poglądy. :P

Offline Patyczek

• Queen Leech
  • The Bloody Crumpet
« Odpowiedź #6 dnia: 06 Lut 2013, 17:05:03 »
Tak, in vitro. Trochę mnie zmindfuckowało, że nazwała to "such fuckings about with nature". Trochę ograniczony pogląd na rozwój medycyny, nawet jeśli chodzi o klonowanie.

Offline Miya

• Stocking And Curl
« Odpowiedź #7 dnia: 06 Lut 2013, 20:45:03 »
Ale to było 10 lat temu, rzeczy trochę inaczej się miały zapewne ^^"

martaforte

• Gość
« Odpowiedź #8 dnia: 06 Lut 2013, 21:10:18 »
A nie chodzi o manipulowanie genetyczne, żeby wyszło takie dziecko jakie się zaplanuje przypadkiem?

Bo in vitro to in vitro xD (chociaż jeśli te opowieści o fobii macierzyństwa, traumatycznej aborcji i wgl sa prawdziwe, to nie zdziwiłbym się, gdyby była przeciwko in vitro)

Offline Ankh

• Forumowa Mama
  • Mad Girl
  • The Bloody Crumpet
  • Type B Negative
    • blog
« Odpowiedź #9 dnia: 06 Lut 2013, 21:11:53 »
A nie chodzi o manipulowanie genetyczne, żeby wyszło takie dziecko jakie się zaplanuje przypadkiem?
Właśnie mi tez coś w tym stylu się kojarzyło szczerze mówiąc...
Terry Pratchett

martaforte

• Gość
« Odpowiedź #10 dnia: 06 Lut 2013, 21:18:29 »
Poza tym, jeśli dobrze interpretuję to "test tube babies" to zgadzam się z każdym słowem Emilie.

Inna sprawa, że uważam za żałosne pytanie muzyków w wywiadach o poglądy polityczne...

Np to:

Silverfox: What are the 5 most things you think our government should focus on to help not only the US but the other countries as well?

Moim zdaniem już zupełna przesada...

Offline Serafina

• The Inmate
  • Meow or Never
« Odpowiedź #11 dnia: 06 Lut 2013, 21:34:40 »
Pytania odnośnie polityki gdzieniegdzie są w modzie raczej.

+ nie rozumiem Waszego oburzenia co do poglądów Emilie.

martaforte

• Gość
« Odpowiedź #12 dnia: 06 Lut 2013, 22:10:37 »
To, że coś jest w modzie nie wyklucza się z tym, że mogę to uważać za nieprofesjonalne i żałosne :D

Offline Serafina

• The Inmate
  • Meow or Never
« Odpowiedź #13 dnia: 06 Lut 2013, 22:29:37 »
Ja o tej modzie prześmiewczo wspomniałam  ;D

Offline Patyczek

• Queen Leech
  • The Bloody Crumpet
« Odpowiedź #14 dnia: 06 Lut 2013, 23:24:36 »
Nie znam się na tyle na terminologii, ale wikipedia mówi, że to to samo.

(Test tube baby may refer to: a baby conceived through in vitro fertilization. "IVF" and "Test tube baby" redirect here.)